Pink, Daniel, H A Whole New Mind, New York, RiverHead Books -Penguin Group 2005. Print ISBN – 1 – 57322-308-5
P1 – The future belongs to very different kind of person with a very different kind of mind – creators and empathizers, pattern recognizers and meaning makers. These people – artists, inventors, designers, storytellers, caregivers, consolers, big pictures thinkers – will now reap society’s richest rewards and share its greatest joy.
1. The left hemisphere controls the right side of the body; the right hemisphere controls the left side of the body
2. L H is sequential; R H is simultaneous
3. LH specializes in text; the R H specializes in context – RH is responsible for understanding metaphors
4. L H analyses the details; R H synthesizes the big picture
P28 Abundance, Asia and Automation
P 51 three questions – 1. Can someone overseas do it cheaper? 2. Can a computer do it faster? 3 is what I am offering in demand in an age of abundance?
P 55 more Americans today work in arts, entertainment and design than work as lawyers, accountants and auditors – “2002 National Cross Industry Estimates of employment and Mean Annual Wage for SOC Major Occupational groups” Occupational Employment Statistics Program, Bureau of labor Statistics – www.bls.gov/oes/home.htm
P 61 aptitudes “the six senses”. Design. Story. Symphony. Empathy. Play. Meaning.
1. Not just function but also Design – must be beautiful or emotionally engaging
2. Not just argument – story – p 66 the essence of persuasion, communication and self understanding
3. Focus – symphony – seeing the big picture, crossing boundaries
4. Logic – empathy – to understand what makes their fellows tick, forge relationships and to care for others
5. Play – need to play – best bosses have humour